Storms are breaking

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 14 22:53:43 UTC 2009

It's common to say "waiting for a break in the weather" meaning when it's cleared up.  So a "break in the storm" fits right in.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Geoffrey Nathan
> Subject: Storms are breaking
>
> CNN is quoting the President this afternoon as saying:
>
> 'We can be confident that the storms of the past two years are beginning to break.'
>
> That struck me as odd, since that's not what I think he meant,
> so I looked it up in the Cobuild Dictionary Online, where it says
>
> verb 'If the weather breaks or a storm breaks , it suddenly becomes rainy or stormy after a period of sunshine.
> I've been waiting for the weather to break...' V
>
> so, is 'the storm is breaking' one of those auto-antonyms? Or did Obama's speechwriter goof?
>
> Geoff
>
> Geoffrey S. Nathan
> Faculty Liaison, C&IT
> and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
> +1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
> +1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)

Ready for Fall shows? Use Bing to find helpful ratings and reviews on digital tv's.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=digital+tv's&form=MSHNCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHNCB_Vertical_Shopping_DigitalTVs_1x1