Teenglish from England

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 18 11:46:45 UTC 2009

This is a claim Tom has maintained for as long as I've read his
postings on this list.  In an earlier thread on the topic several
years ago, it appeared that some speakers hear the vowel as closer to
/i/ and others, like me, have a vowel closer to the vowel of "in".  I
don't recall whether anyone claimed that the vowel is in fact tense,
and I, like many, find tense, non-low vowels before /N/ pretty much
impossible in English.

Herb