The Uniqueness of Man

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 18 14:36:09 UTC 2009

I haven't read the Anderson book either, but I've followed that
literature ever since working with the Lana Project at Yerkes in
Atlanta in the late 70s.  The arena is one with highly mobile goal
posts.  When animals are shown to be capable of some language-like
behavior the definition changes to exclude that or at least make it
insufficient.  What serious researchers in the field are doing,
though, is not attempting to prove that other higher primates are
capable of language but rather investigating the cognitive requisites
for language and the use of such species as behavior models for
research.  Duane Rumbaugh has a couple of very interesting recent
papers that survey the field he's been working in for forty years.
See for example

Emergents and Rational Behaviorism.  Eyes on Psy Chi, Winter 2002.
A Salience Theory of Learning and Behavior: With Perspectives on
Neurobiology and Cognition.  International Journal of Primatology
(0164-0291) 10/01/2007. Vol.28,Iss.5;p.973-996.

Both sides, unfortunately, are prone to overblown arguments.

Herb