Tenther

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 20 18:40:20 UTC 2009

Checking he sources, it does appear that the English expression followed
from the German. The tithe/tenth distinction is small-- Zehnt vs
Zehnte--and the tither/tax collector is Zehenter, which can literally be
translated as Tenther (not sure if it qualifies as calque). I would be
more sure of it if my knowledge of German was even marginal. Either way,
it should have an additional definition if it does not exist already.

Speaking of calque--Wiki entry for calque, although well supported with
citations, needs a lot of work, both in the content and in style.

    VS-)