Query About Etymological Discoveries

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Sep 22 00:30:41 UTC 2009

--

It's a lot easier to disprove a purported etymology than to prove one!

E.g., "hooker" isn't from Gen. Hooker's name but AFAIK it's still an
open question where it DID come from.

Similarly, I think we can say "chad" is NOT from an acronym referring to
punched cards, as we've shown in this list.

As for new 'positive' discoveries (aside from mere speculations [even
really really plausible and/or amusing ones]):

I think "[say] 'uncle'" has been explained well enough, as mentioned a
while back in this list. And who woulda guessed it?

Same with "jinx", etymologized in this list in 2004: an example of how
even a blind chicken can find the occasional kernel.

There are probably several other good examples just from this list which
slip my mind right now.

-- Doug Wilson