"pale in comparison to" meaning reversal

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 25 01:50:09 UTC 2009

Ann,

I considered that possibility.  Here's the entire answer from Yahoo:

"The use of the phrase "PALES IN COMPARISON" is generally used in the
way similar words describe a person's complexion - PALE, PALLID, or
PALLOR. When a person is on the verge of collapsing into
unconsciousness after some terrible shock, blood drains from their
face which makes their face appear white. When we speak of something
that "PALES IN COMPARISON" to some other thing, we mean the difference
between the two things is so extreme to the point of making the lesser
thing faint from shock when exposed to the greater thing.

"However, to say that someone's love for another person pales in
comparison to the hate that someone also feels for the same person
seems kind of conflicted. It is common to describe people having a
"love-hate relationship", but if the love far outweighs the hate, I
might say that their love "conquers" the hate instead of saying it
"pales in comparison." When love conquers hate, the hate is vanquished
and disappears. When love pales in comparison to hate, the hate still
remains even if it is vastly overshadowed by the love."

The first paragraph is sufficiently imprecise as to which is the
lesser and which the greater that interpreted the second paragraph as
reversing the meaning.  The clause "but if the love far outweighs the
hate, I might say that their love "conquer" the hate instead of saying
it "pales in comparison" suggests exactly that reversal.

I did, however, check the first 100 googits for "pales in comparison"
and didn't find a single instance of the reversed meaning.  It's
possible that this was a slip both on the MSNBC interviewer's part and
on the Yahoo answerer's part.

Herb