OT (German, not American): Julius Echter Hefe-Weisse

Julia Achenbach julia.achenbach at UNI-OLDENBURG.DE
Fri Sep 25 19:59:38 UTC 2009

I think it is a mixture of both:
Julius Echter was a prince-bishop, who lived in Wuerzburg until 1617. His
monastry may have brewed beer in a certain way that the present-day
brewery still follows. But it was his beer, since he was the head of it
all.

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: OT (German, not American): Julius Echter Hefe-Weisse
>
> At 12:17 PM -0400 9/25/09, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>>Do you-all think Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier (Wurzburger Hofbrau AG) is:
>>
>>1)  Julius Echter's yeast-wheat beer; or (and a more enchanting
>> possibility)
>>
>>2)  Julius's purer/more genuine/more authentic/more substantial)
>>yeast-wheat beer (take your choice)? Here I imagine Julius to have
>>been a little-old German brewmaster of olden times, who came up with
>>the formula.
>>
>>Joel
>>
> If it were Julius echter Hefe-Weissbier we'd have known for sure.
>
> LH

"A learned blockhead is a better blockhead than an ignorant one"
- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)