"funny" language; was Re: No more "Christian name, sir?" in Kent, UK

Judy Prince jbalizsprince at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 1 11:23:14 UTC 2010

Good for Jerry Sadock, Barbara----as if *only* writings in English, French
or German (as it was insisted/imposed when I attended uni) were worthily
relevant to one's research!

We USAmericans, not *needing* others' natural resources for so many years
and being geographically sequestered from most nations, had locked ourselves
up here, only recently feeling the need to know other languages, histories
and cultures.  A wonderful irony is that those precious knowings have been
brought  to us continuously by our immigrants, a fact for which we are
reasonably famous in the world.

Jerry's marvelous assertion that English counts as a "funny
language" relates to the equally witty language-political "poster poem"
by Tom Leonard, a Glaswegian Scot, in his recent poetry book _Outside The
Narrative_:

AN

OXFORD

DICTIONARY

OF

AN

ENGLISH
LANGUAGE

-------------

Judy

On 1 April 2010 06:40, Barbara Need <bhneed at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Barbara Need <bhneed at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      "funny" language; was Re: No more "Christian name, sir?" in
Kent,

--
"Southern hospitality has ten years left."  --Jeff Hecker, Norfolk, VA

http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/author/jprince/

Frisky Moll Press:  http://judithprince.com/home.html