"funny" language; was Re: No more "Christian name, sir?" in Kent, UK

Judy Prince jbalizsprince at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 3 11:37:59 UTC 2010

Thank you, Barbara, I'll try to track down Jerry Sadock's paper; it sounds
like a real gem-promiser.

Glad you liked Tom Leonard's poster poem.   He examples the inevitable
wrestling with the politics of language .  Paul Batchelor's brief,
example-filled *Guardian* review of Outside the Narrative catches Leonard's
poignance, power and even a touch of his personal charm :
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/oct/17/poetry-leonard-batchelor-review

Best,

Judy

On 2 April 2010 22:23, Barbara Need <bhneed at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Barbara Need <bhneed at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "funny" language; was Re: No more "Christian name, sir?"
> in
>              Kent, UK

> Ah, but only "funny" in the context of his paper (something like
> "PIFL: Principle of information-free linguistics"--he expanded it two
> other ways in the paper)--not in the context of the requirement. The
> paper appeared in CLS in the 30s somewhere (my copy is NOT at hand).
>
> On 1 Apr 2010, at 6:23 AM, Judy Prince wrote:
>
> > Jerry's marvelous assertion that English counts as a "funny
> > language" relates to the equally witty language-political "poster
> > poem"
> > by Tom Leonard, a Glaswegian Scot, in his recent poetry book
> > _Outside The
> > Narrative_:
> >
> > AN
> >
> > OXFORD
> >
> > DICTIONARY
> >
> > OF
> >
> > AN
> >
> > ENGLISH
> > LANGUAGE
>
> I like!
>
> Barbara
>
> Barbara Need
> Chicago

"Southern hospitality has ten years left."  --Jeff Hecker, Norfolk, VA

http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/author/jprince/

Frisky Moll Press:  http://judithprince.com/home.html