OT:Heard on American Dad: daughter Hayley singing a song about...

Leslie Decker leslie at FAMILYDECKER.ORG
Sat Apr 3 12:26:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      OT:Heard on American Dad: daughter Hayley singing a song
> about...

> "... tapping that ass."
>
> When I was in Amsterdam, sometimes, Dutch people would complain about
> the casual use of "God verdoeme!" by Americans. Now, I see their
> point.
>
> Well, one of the problems there, of course, is that 'godverdomme' is much
stronger than (for most English-speakers ) 'God dammit.' Most Dutch people
have told me it was closer too 'motherfucker' for shock value.

it made for an interesting situation when an English friend of mine was
having a holiday dinner with her Dutch boyfriend and his entire family,  She
thought it was something like 'dammit' and scandalized his grandparents by
using it when she dropped her napkin!