OT:Heard on American Dad: daughter Hayley singing a song about...

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 6 04:54:07 UTC 2010

She has my sympathy. I found out that there's a major problem involved
in asking - in English! - for the location of the bathroom, even among
Dutch people who have lived in the States long enough to have earned
American doctorates.

-Wilson

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Leslie Decker <leslie at familydecker.org> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Leslie Decker <leslie at FAMILYDECKER.ORG>
> Subject:      Re: OT:Heard on American Dad: daughter Hayley singing a song
>              about...
>
> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>> Subject:      OT:Heard on American Dad: daughter Hayley singing a song
>> about...

>> "... tapping that ass."
>>
>> When I was in Amsterdam, sometimes, Dutch people would complain about
>> the casual use of "God verdoeme!" by Americans. Now, I see their
>> point.
>>
>> Well, one of the problems there, of course, is that 'godverdomme' is much
> stronger than (for most English-speakers ) 'God dammit.' Most Dutch people
> have told me it was closer too 'motherfucker' for shock value.
>
> it made for an interesting situation when an English friend of mine was
> having a holiday dinner with her Dutch boyfriend and his entire family,  She
> thought it was something like 'dammit' and scandalized his grandparents by
> using it when she dropped her napkin!

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain