Spanish ex-, Spanish liberals?

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 6 08:29:31 UTC 2010

I also should have noted that the OED B.1.b. note, as applied to the
noun "liberal" does suggest French and /Spanish/ usage, which may or may
not illustrate influence. But, to my ear, this sound more like calling
John Kerry "French looking" in order to emphasize his distance from the
purported mean--in this case, the mean of British politics. So, yes, the
early form "Liberals" in British politics is connected with the French
and Spanish cognates, but, it seems, the pre-existence of the adjective
and the usage of all three forms, suggests away from the dominant
influence of Spanish on the English gloss--in other words, the result
would have been the same whether there was a parallel in Spanish or not.
In fact, I just realized that the OED text says almost exactly the same
thing. So I am not completely off the wall here. (Perhaps I should read
the full entry before citing it ;-) Besides, didn't Spanish just borrow
it from French to begin with?

OED: