Country talk, 1840

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Apr 9 05:20:28 UTC 2010

--

"Shell-bark" [person] is in DARE but only from 1941: "a rough rugged
person" or so.

"Squatawa" [verb] I can't find elsewhere but I suppose the word is
probably based on the name of Tecumseh's brother Tenskwatawa (several
spelling variations, and I see some instances of the "Ten-" being
replaced by "Ell-", "Elk-"). Tenskwatawa fought the Battle of
Tippecanoe, in Indiana Territory (1811), so I guess might have been fair
game for Hoosier allusions in 1837. I would speculate "squatawa" is
essentially euphemistic for "damn" here but I can't guess whether it had
any significant currency, nor whether it has any serious reference to
Tenskwatawa as a historical figure (as opposed to being a frivolous
appropriation of [part of] the name alone).

-- Doug Wilson