Pullum in Providence

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Fri Apr 9 13:30:17 UTC 2010

I nearly missed this on Language Log posted on April 5.

I've simply had it with all the people who keep
telling me that they revere The Elements of Style
because it's such a nice little book and helped
them so much with their writing when they were in
college that they carry it everywhere they go and
give it to all their students or hand a copy to
each new employee that they hire for their
company yadda yadda yaddaŠ I have decided that my
campaign against Strunk and White's toxic little
compendium of unfollowable dumb advice, bungled
grammar claims, and outright mendacity must be
taken directly to America's colleges, starting
with the great universities of the East Coast.
For the opening event I have chosen Brown
University in Providence, Rhode Island. I will
speak on the Brown campus at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday
night next week, April 13, in the Metcalf
Chemistry Building Auditorium at 190-194 Thayer
Street. Admission is free, and Language Log
readers get a 30% discount off that. Be there.

I'm using this as an excuse to go and put a face
to a name (wish I had a copy of the Great Eskimo
Hoax to get autographed) and also pop in on
friends in Providence.

---Amy West