Maxim: Figures don't lie, but liars do figure (1884 February 29)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 10 11:59:16 UTC 2010

Several comments. The message came out awfully long and I had to break
it down into three parts. I am also only including a part of Garson's
original post.

Part I.

First, a thought on the 1889 citation from a C. D. Wright speech.*

Just as Garson did, I stumbled across the ASA volume.

http://bit.ly/9gg7e5
(American Statistical Association, 1889)
Convention of Commissioners of Bureaus of Statistics and Labor.
Hartford, June 25, 1889. p. 283 [43]
> It has been said that figures will not lie. It is equally true that
> liars will figure. It is our duty to prevent liars from figuring in
> the interest of any theory, by presenting original data fairly.

However, I interpret the text differently. Judging from the first and
last grafs immediately bracketing the "speech", I don't believe that
this is an "excerpt" from the address, as Garson has concluded. My
interpretation is that this is a telegraphic report on the content of
the speech--notes, if you will. So the text is not faithful to the
original. In this context, I would trust the second text that Garson
cited as being a more accurate representation of the actual address.

Our searches, unsurprisingly, overlapped again. At first, I did not
notice that Garson used The Sources of Our Population piece in The New
Englander (Aug. 1852), so I was going to refer to it anyway.

http://books.google.com/books?id=cWdJAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA393
The New Englander. Vol. 39. Aug. 1852
Art. IV.--The Sources of Our Population. p. 393
> The old saying, that " figures won't lie," is true, without doubt; and
> the same may be said of letters, marks, and other signs of thought.
> But the mode in which many use figures, in order to carry a point, has
> sometimes tempted us to believe that the hasty remark of the Psalmist,
> if paraphrased thus—" all men"—who deal in statistics—" are liars,"—is
> not far from the truth.

I like the sound of "all men who deal in statistics are liars".
Unfortunately, the source cites no authors or editors (save for a couple
of articles that are reproductions of speeches).

But I do have something to add. The same entire piece had been reprinted
in The Foreign Evangelical Review; Vol. 1:3; Edinburgh [London]:
November 1852; p. 650. [The entire volume is listed under The British
and Foreign Evangelical Review and Quarterly Record of Christian
Literature.] This means that the piece appeared on both sides of the
Atlantic.
http://books.google.com/books?id=pfkDAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA650

Another related line, comes from the mouth of a preacher at Boston's
West Church.

http://books.google.com/books?id=xFENAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA15-PA47
In Remembrance. Address, on the Occasion of the Death of Charles Greely
Loring, Delivered in the West Church, October 20. Boston: 1867
Sincerity. p. 47-8
> /Figures/ cannot lie, we say. In the wrong rows they are the greatest
> liars in the world, as every accountant and swindled trader learn.
> Facts are /stubborn/ things, and very misleading.

[GB bundled several West Church pamphlets in the same record--the
listing is under The Hand of God in the Great Man: A Sermon Delivered in
the West Church Boston, Occasioned by the Death of Daniel Webster. By
Cyrus Augustus Bartol. Boston: 1852]

The same sermon had been reprinted as "An Address before the Essex
Conference, Feb. 28, 1872" in The Radical, Vol. 10, May 1872; pp. 351-2.
http://books.google.com/books?id=SgqgAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA351

I was initially amused by the coincidence of dates, but this was quickly
dispelled by the realization that the GB volume contained many pieces.

The Massachusetts Teacher volume from 1869 contains two articles that
may also serve as marginal precedents.

The first is devoted to the question of how figures can "lie" in its
entirety.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2dQBAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA138
The Massachusetts Teacher. Volume 22 (3d series, vol. 4):4. April 1869
Editors' Department. Figures Do Sometimes Lie. p. 138ff
> "Figures don't lie!" So everybody says, and what everybody says ought
> to be true. And yet figures do sometimes tell wrong stories. Not that
> they are to blame. ... It is not always wise to trust to the figures
> as recorded on paper ; for it is just as easy for the pen to make 5 as
> 3, and carelessness or dishonesty will sometimes dictate that one be
> made for another.

The story goes on in the same vein for 5 pages.

The Massachusetts Teacher. Volume 22 (3d series, vol. 4):7. July 1869
A word about Statistics. p. 244
> Again, question should be framed so as to be free from ambiguity, and
> so as to admit of accurate answers. The neglect of this principle has
> been prolific in inquiries almost sure to draw forth very different
> results from kindred facts. A remedy is sometimes sought by giving
> directions evidently arbitrary and calculated to /insure/ inaccuracy.
> In this way, at great expense of labor, an immense amount of falsehood
> is put into figures, all the more deceptive because of the somewhat
> prevalent conviction that "figures will not lie."

Now, the former does have a play on "figures don't lie", but it is
rather internal--there is no reversal that makes the phrase in question
so entertaining. The latter does not even suffer that far--it simply
points to the falsehood based on the statement that "figures don't lie".

There is a different kind of reversal in the 1886 Popular Science
Monthly. This already postdates Garson's find, but it's still worth
mentioning because the contention here is, in reference to statistics
that "figures always lie".

http://books.google.com/books?id=hdrUAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA794
> But, in spite of all defects, two special merits belong to Le Play's
> work in social science. The first is, that he insisted on studying
> concrete, not abstract "society" ; he employed the statistical method.
> It has been said, to be sure, that "figures always lie" ; and
> certainly charts and diagrams, and brace-synopses that profess to set
> forth social facts, either past or present, should be accepted with
> profoundest caution. They are things to be used as Spencer used them
> in his "Descriptive Sociology." not as being themselves final results,
> but only as a means that may help us in reaching results more nearly
> final.

1886 seems to be a banner year for doubt.

http://books.google.com/books?id=g_wKAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA443
Papers of the American Historical Association. Volume 1:6. 1886
Meetings of the American Historical Association. Secretary's Report.
Evening Session. September 8, 1885. Professor Emerson's Paper. p. 23 [443]
> All this sounds very attractive. The average man accepts without much
> question the assertion that facts will not lie. And yet every one who
> has to deal with facts knows that nothing, unless it be figures, will
> lie so completely as facts. The question in every case of historical
> narration is not, "Has the man got facts?" but "What facts has he got,
> and how does he put them together ?" There is never a controverted
> point on any subject upon which a vast array of opposing facts cannot
> be summoned to the argument.

A similar doubt in figures is expressed in an 1880 piece as well:

http://books.google.com/books?id=3LU0AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA105
The Medical Jurisprudence of Insanity. By J. H. Balfour Browne. 2nd ed.
San Francisco: 1880 [copyright 1875]
Chapter II. On the Causes of Insanity. pp. 104-5
> We are glad to see that Dr. Ray, in an able article upon the causes of
> insanity, has expressed his dissent from the popular adage that
> figures wont [sic] lie, and shows that it is upon far other grounds
> that we must expect to arrive at correct conclusions as to the causes
> of mental disease.

Is this a bizarre reversal to go from "figures don't lie" to "figures
always lie"? Not so much. What is it that has prompted the reversal from
the classical "figures don't lie" to not only the claims "figures always
lie" but also to qualifying puns "Figures don't lie, but liars
[sometimes] figure"? Wiki article on the History of Statistics barely
mentions Quetelet (1796-1874) and omits William Playfair (1759-1823)
entirely. Quetelet introduced "social physics" and the concept of "the
average man" (the one who "has one breast and one testicle", as someone
later quipped). Playfair is responsible for the introduction of charts
("figures") into sociology and economics. Where "figures" originally
referred only to numbers, in the 19th century it referred to statistical
charts as well after Playfair. Le Play (1906-1882), mentioned above,
also made a major sociological contribution by publishing a series of
analyses of family budgets. To that one must add the rise of Darwinism
and, in particular, positivism--as Comte's Course, which resurrected the
near-scientific concept of sociology, was first published in English in
1865. Comte, in particular, predicted emergence of sociology as a hard
science (a prediction not yet realized). The influences of Darwinism and
Positivism on language (and on much else) are far too frequently
underestimated. It is the interplay of all these elements that would
have contributed to the doubt in numerical data that was a prerequisite
for the coinage of the pun on figures and liars. The 1880s are the
infancy stage of mathematical statistics, but it is also period of
maturation of data-driven sociology and economics. Early 19th century
statisticians and economists would have put near absolute faith in
numerical data--the kind of faith that generated a backlash exemplified
by the sources above.

It would still take the wit of someone in the middle of this debacle to
come up with a flying defense of numerical data and to blame the critics
(the "liars") for the misrepresentations of data (as exemplified by the
last three citations). In this climate, it makes perfect sense (to me,
at least) that the phrase "Figures don't lie, but liars do figure" would
have appeared in the 1870s or early 1880s. This is one reason why some
late 20th century quotation collectors try to pin the phrase on Mark
Twain. (I kid you not!) The best part is that the joke can be used both
in support of data-driven methodologies (which is how Wright used it)
and in opposition to them (see below for the anti-Wright quote).

Of course, my claim would be proven wrong if there is an instance of the
same phrase (not an antecedant) appearing prior to 1865. On the other
hand, if there is a source dealing with sociology or economics that uses
the same phrase and predates the 1884 cite, it would go a long way to
confirm my theory.

What is missing in the 1880s citations that Garson found
(disclaimer--not his fault, it is inherent to the source) is the
underlying increased reliance on numerical data in driving industry and
commerce. In fact, in this whole collection, it is only the 1888 LATimes
article that stands out as incongruous (and more in line with the 1869
Massachusetts Teacher articles, cited above). But once the phrase was
out of the bag, it certainly could not have been contained.

This is about all I have to add on precedence.

        VS-)

PS: *A slight correction of Garson's description of Carroll D. Wright.
He was the President of ASA and the very first Commissioner of Labor at
the time when he made the 1889 speech. He was placed in charge of the
Census in 1893 and became the President of AAAS in 1903, before stepping
down as Commissioner of Labor in 1905. His near 20-year tenure in that
post may serve to explain the 1904 barb directed at him.