turn of the century

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 10 19:45:08 UTC 2010

This is not quite Y2K, but it is a good summary of the turn of the
century/decade, etc., arguments as they have been practiced for
generations. It seems the problem was never far from the minds of the
chattering classes. After all, 1878 is nowhere near any round-figure
year, like 1800. It's even two years away from 1880--if they even
bothered to worry about "decades" back then.

VS-)

http://books.google.com/books?id=K40GAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA242

The Atlantic Monthly. Vol. 42:250. August, 1878
The Contributors' Club. p. 242