"tarrel" in Hammett?

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Wed Apr 14 13:30:26 UTC 2010

Hammett (or his English protagonist) had been reading George Matsell's
_Vocabulum_ (1859) where a "tarrel" is defined as 'a skeleton key'.

Matsell is the only citation given in Partridge, _Dictionary of the
Underworld_ (1950 ed.), so it probably wasn't a very common term.  Partridge
has it as obsolete by 1900, but if he found it anywhere other than in
Matsell, he fails to indicate this.  I suspect the "obsolete by 1900" is
simply a guess or inference on Patridge's part.

Robin