'just a lot of Malarkey" (1925)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 14 14:39:02 UTC 2010

I won't swear that Davis J. Walsh, Sports Editor of International News
Service, popularized this word, but most of the earliest findable exx. are
his work - including that discovered by Stephen:

1924 David [sic] J. Walsh, INS Sports Ed. in _Oakland Tribune_ (Apr. 19) 11:
That the business is not so much Malarkey is indicated by the fact that
[etc.].

1924 Davis J. Walsh, INS Sports Ed. in _Oakland Tribune_ (May 20) 23: We
presume, however, that this kind if malarkey is to be expected from certain
quarters.

1924 Davis J. Walsh, in _Olean [N.Y.] Times_ (Dec. 6, 1924) 7: However, all
talk of Eddie Roush figuring in any deal with the Giants is so much malarky,
according to Hendricks.

1925 Davis J. Walsh, INS Sports Ed. in _Indiana [Pa.] Evening Gazette_ (Jan.
3) 5: His announcement, consequently, could be taken as so much malarkey.

JL