"tarrel" in Hammett?

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Wed Apr 14 15:59:25 UTC 2010

> I'd be surprised if Hammett, a former Pinkerton op (1915-21), needed to
> rely on Matsell.
>
> JL

I wonder.  I'd like to think so, but, "The hotel-sneak used to be my lay,"
for example, seems just a little too archaic or literary for the Street in
1924.  If Hammett *is using it independently of Matsell, that suggests the
term was current from at least 1859-1924.  Also, Hammett was both bright and
a voracious reader, so I'd be surprised if he hadn't come across Matsell,
both as lexicographer and ex-New York Chief of Police, and used him for his
own literary purposes.

Be nice to have an intermediate instance, to confirm.

Robin