Short take: "multidrug" - WOTD from the OED

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 15 09:27:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:

> multidrug 1. 1966-->1915-->[1895?]
>
> I love finding oddities that don't quite fit, especially when they put a
> significant twist on the good-ol' brute-force approach to searching.
>
> First, it was "letter-bomb" from 1882 when modern usage does not appear
> until 1947. Now we have "multi-drug" adj.

Noun!

But now I see where you're getting that from:

etc.

Where does the OED draw the line between adjectives and nouns?  They
don't give an entry for "hand /adj./".  Wouldn't it be the same thing
in "hand cream"?

It's no wonder people find grammar confusing.

If a noun is used to modify another noun (even if it is *only ever*
used that way) it is still a noun.

--
Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China