Short take: "multidrug" - WOTD from the OED

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 17 00:48:41 UTC 2010

I am not assuming anything. I have no idea what it means--in fact, I
could not parse it for some time. To be honest, I do see any
difference between saying that its multiple drugstores or a chain that
consists of multiple drugstore--as far as I am concerned, that's the
same thing. The point is quite different here--why this particular
split--"multi-drug store". The question for me is more whether it is
[[multi-drug] store] or [multi-[drug store]], but, if it is the
latter, why not "drugstore"? And the former makes little sense as most
drugstores would be selling many drugs in any case. And if I did not
think there was an ambiguity, I would have pushed the date directly
back to 1895, not 1915.

VS-)