On Orbit

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Apr 18 17:11:01 UTC 2010

I just noticed it in yet another space-related podcast.

I don't require further research, just pointing out what I thought was an odd usage.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Geoff Nathan
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2010 10:04 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: On Orbit

In another part of my life I follow the aerospace industry and can report that the phrase 'on orbit' is very frequent in the major trade journal, _Aviation Week and Space Technology_. I haven't had the opportunity to do the philological research required to find out how old the usage is (I suspect not more than ten-fifteen years) but could consider investigating further if necessary (I don't know how far back I can search archives, or whether I can search for things like that).

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)