old proverb

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 19 01:48:48 UTC 2010

The Bailey version appears to match Walker's English and Latin Proverbs,
1672, although I have not found th actual source (only a citation).

Answers.com claims another earlier source: It is hard to teach an old
dog trickes.
[1636 W. Camden Remains concerning Britain (ed. 5) 300]

Again, I have not looked for confirmation.

     VS-)