old proverb

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Apr 19 11:54:16 UTC 2010

M. P. Tilley's _Dictionary of the Proverbs in England in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries_ gives the form "It's hard to make an old dog stoop" (D489) from 1523 and "An old dog will learn no tricks" (D500) from 1636 (citing Camden). Examples from the 18th and 19th centuries appear the F. P. Wilson, _Oxford Dictionary of English Proverbs_ (1970), 805; B. J. Whiting, _Early American Proverbs and Proverbial Phrases_ (1977) D272; Archer Taylor and Whiting, _American Proverbs and Proverbial Phrases_ (1967) 105.

For instance . . . .

Charlie