AP changes to 'website'

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Apr 21 14:57:42 UTC 2010

This used to be the accepted practice, but it's not so true anymore.
Computer professionals are all over the map with "internet"/"Internet" and
"website"/"web site"/"Website"/"Web site." Ditto for industry publications.
Wired magazine, for example, shifted their style to a lower-case "internet"
in 2004.

In everyday practice, no one uses "Internet" to refer to the smaller routed
networks--capitalization alone is not enough to prevent confusion. Most
professionals use terms like "network" to refer to the smaller and private
TCP/IP networks. I've worked in Silicon Valley for over a decade and I don't
think I've ever heard anyone use "Internet" to refer to the smaller routed
networks, other than in a handful of books and technical papers about
networking standards and practices (like the ones cited here).

Officially, AP is relevant for just AP. But many news organizations use the
AP style, or use it with exceptions (e.g., not all newspapers that use the
AP style will make the shift to "website.") Like any style guide, it's
simply a way to provide consistency among the many writers and editors when
it comes to arbitrary decisions of style. Outside the news business, it
isn't much used, and the AP style is sneered at and derided by many copy
editors. (Why I don't really understand; I think it's perfectly serviceable
as a guide to writing news stories, although not especially applicable to
other types of writing.)