"attenuation"

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 23 06:19:17 UTC 2010

Yes, this usage seems odd to me, too. While both words (attenuate and
attention) may be cognate and have to do with a narrowing or thinning out,
attention (in my experience) refers to a narrowing of mental or physical
focus to strengthen one's understanding or perform an activity with superior
results.
Attenuation (as I have heard it used) refers to a thinning out that results
in weakening such as attenuation of a radio signal or light waves
propagating in an optic fiber, or  the attenuation of a bacterium or virus
which results in a less virulent form.

Eric

.