"When you're in a hole . . ."

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Apr 23 13:17:29 UTC 2010

In answer to Victor's query, here is what we have in the file of modern proverbs:

<< When you are in a hole, stop digging.  1981  Washington Post 16 Nov.  "At Rochester and in junior hockey (at Saskatoon), we had some tough times. But when you're in a hole, don't dig it deeper."  1983  Financial Times 7 Jan.:  "Where Europe goes from here clearly depends chiefly upon whether . . . there is a move towards the opposite view, well summarised recently by Mr Kenneth Mayland, an economist with the First Pennsylvania Bank: 'The first rule of holes; when you're in one, stop digging.'"  1984  New York Times 17 Feb.:  "The [Reagan] administration will do well to remember an old maxim: If you find yourself in a hole, for heaven's sake, stop digging."  1984  New York Times 11 Sep.:  "There is a Law of Holes that says, when you are in one, stop digging. That is a law Congress finds it almost impossible to observe."   ODP 150; Doyle (2001) 462-63.  In British publications, the "Law of Holes" is often referred to as "Healey's Law," after the statesman Denis Healey, a po!
 pularizer of the expression. >>

--Charlie