Russian /tl/

Fri Apr 23 14:26:07 UTC 2010

does the lateral fricative release in Russian /tl'a/ correlate with style, dialect, and/or tempo? Just wondering (it has been a long time since my college Russian classes), but I recall being taught /tlja/).

-----Original Message-----
From: Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
Date:         Fri, 23 Apr 2010 04:05:18
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] Eyjafjallajokull from an icelander

Thanks. The two answers on this pointed in the direction that I thought
it was going in. As I said, I was not disputing the correctness of the
remark, but merely its strength. As I understand it, at this point, the
"lateral /tl/" is the same as the sound one finds in the Russian word
for "aphid" /tl'a/. I know self-reporting can be misleading, but, in
this case, there is a single palatalized consonant that can be best
described--in my pronunciation--as dropping the sides and the tip of the
tongue before full release. My phonology is very rusty...

      VS-)