"I cannot emphasize"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 23 16:21:32 UTC 2010

At 8:46 AM -0700 4/23/10, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>On Apr 23, 2010, at 7:12 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>
>[html code stripped]

>>-----------------------
>>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
>>Subject:      "I cannot emphasize"
>>
>>What category does this fit into?  Written about e-Bay.
>
>>I cannot emphasize how important it is to check on shipping costs,
>>which can vary wildly.
>
>it looks like a (venial) type of undernegation, with the negative
>polarity element "too much" suppressed, presumably because it can be
>supplied by the cooperative reader/hearer, perhaps on the grounds that
>the high-end-of-scale understanding is already provided by "how Adj"
>'very Adj' and doesn't need further expression in "too much".  no
>doubt larry horn can comment.

I was thinking "cannot overemphasize" might be another source, but I
see from googling that "cannot stress how" is also incredibly common,
and "overstress" is much rarer than "overemphasize", so I agree that
it's more likely a matter of incorporating an "enough" or "too much"
into the verb itself in these contexts.  Maybe the speaker thinks
that to say one "can't emphasize enough/too much how [+ high scalar
adj]" is emphasizing it too much, so the reanalysis to "can't
emphasize how [+ high scalar adj]" is emphasizing it enough.

LH