Songs without words

David Wake dwake at STANFORDALUMNI.ORG
Sun Apr 25 21:17:04 UTC 2010

The use of "Song Without Words" as a title for a short composition for
solo piano seems to have been Mendelssohn's invention.  The fact that
Mendelssohn felt compelled to add the qualification "Without Words" is
an admission that, by default, a "Song" in classical music is "With
Words" -- i.e. it features the human voice.

David