"in the car" = '[customer] has rented the car and not yet returned it'

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 26 12:27:12 UTC 2010

My wife and I left Philadelphia late Saturday morning to drive to N.J. for
the weekend. At least, that was the plan. Our car overheated, we limped back
home to put it in the garage, and I called Alamo Rent-a-Car. I asked about
an AARP discount, was given some incorrect information, and called from N.J.
the next morning to try to get the discount. Here are my notes, just as I
typed them up. "Alamo rez," = "I called Alamo's reservation line to..."

Sun. 1030 am

    * Alamo rez, modify a current reservation: South Asian outsource (alias
"Buddy") says I'd have to talk to Alamo Help line [number]
    * Alamo Help line asks if I'm already in the car.
          o me: No, I'm in my hotel room, I rented my car yesterday and
drove to NJ. I'll return it tomorrow. Right now I'm not in the car, I'm in
the hotel room.
          o her: Well, if you're in the car...
          o me: I'm not in the car. If you mean I've already picked it up
and haven't returned it, yes, but in English that's not "in the car".
          o her: You would have to call Alamo Customer Care
          o me: I don't suppose they're open now, are they?
          o her: No, they're at [number], Monday - Saturday, 8am - 6pm
          o me: Thank you very much, and I think this is the last time I'll
be renting from Alamo.

Mark