Deltas 802

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 26 21:39:15 UTC 2010

Does this happen only, or especially, before flight numbers starting with 8,
as in the questioner's example? That's the only digit whose English name
begins with a vowel (except "oh" for zero; do flight numbers use leading
zeros?), and so the only context that would produce the glottal stop Ron
mentions. On that assumption, his analysis sounds sound to me.

Commenting in the other direction, to Ron: The airline pilot writing to
Ask-a-Linguist is the one who wrote "add an 's'", which is what we expect
from non-linguists and what we should use it in answering them, assuming
that, as here, it engenders no confusion. In this case, an excursus into the
difference between /s/ and "s" in Herb's reply would only add confusion.

Mark Mandel