Rocks for Jocks, etc. (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Apr 27 17:47:14 UTC 2010

At 4:39 PM +0000 4/27/10, ronbutters at aol.com wrote:
>Isn't it the same thing!?

Oh, I was thinking of the old-fashioned emphatic "so" without a
complement that Jespersen claimed only women use ("I'm so tired" as
opposed to "I'm so tired that I'm going to sleep", with only the
latter being approved for use by men).  But I see on re-reading that
Jon's is indeed what I meant by "Gen-X _so_", not what Jespersen (and
Robin Lakoff) meant by "emphatic _so_" of the supposedly sex-linked
variety. Just a terminological issue.

LH