Q: What is "torture"?

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 27 18:32:50 UTC 2010

The United Nations Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman
or Degrading Treatment or Punishment agrees with you:

"Any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental,
is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining
from him or a third person, information or a confession, punishing him
for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having
committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any
reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering
is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or
acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official
capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from,
inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions."

However, since the law also says, "In particular, the obligations
contained in articles 10, 11, 12 and 13 shall apply with the
substitution for references to torture of references to other forms of
cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment," one can see
torture used as a shorthand for both.

For example, the Human Rights Web refers to the UN Convention against
Torture as a short version of the full name of the agreement.

http://www.hrweb.org/legal/cat.html

DanG