expired equines

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 27 19:45:46 UTC 2010

Another new one for me, from the pen of Adam Serwer:

http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/tapped_archive?month=04&year=2010&base_name=what_the_new_black_panther_cas
> Also, _not_to_cremate_a_dead_horse_, but conservative obsession with this case is another example of the phenomenon of conservative epistemic closure.

Following a brief search, I found only a couple of other instances

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?s=f254985ea3f8a4f1552001bd80568cbb&p=1334031&postcount=7

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05012/440853-126.stm

http://1337planet.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=348&st=0&p=6414&hl="dead%20horse"&fromsearch=1&#entry6414
> From now on when I want to know how to cremate a dead horse by beating it, I'll ask BS.
> This post has been edited by Undertow: 05 September 2006 - 05:17 PM

Apparently, the horse has been beaten so much that it's time to cover
up the crime by cremating it...

Well, it seems exactly how one gamer felt too--after five posts that
involved the line about "beating a dead horse", someone (comment #18)
finally wrote on a thread,

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=711961893
> Whoever that finally disbands the guild imo will gain a lot of respect for _finally_cremating_that_dead_horse's_corpse_ and spreading its ashes all over lorderon and of outlands!

<Also here:  http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/search.html?characterId=778307992&sid=1>

Actually, he's not alone (comment at 10:18pm):

http://www.tnr.com/blog/the-spine/my-daughter-biden

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?s=85afc728dded471a7ea88914c0347166&p=627199&postcount=25
> BTW i am going to cremate the dead horse honorable moderators. i know this is not the time or the place for this debate

It seems, in most cases--EXCEPT Serwer's, of course--"cremating a dead
horse" actually does imply that it will no longer be beaten, kicked,
flogged, flagellated, etc.

VS-)