Off the ol' hookeroo

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 28 17:49:33 UTC 2010

At 10:23 AM -0700 4/28/10, Lisa Galvin wrote:

>Yes, I understand the overall meaning of the specific example I
>gave;  what I was trying to figure out was the whole "ol' --eroo"
>thing, like where that came from, or if anyone knows when/how it
>started.
>

>If someone asks you what is the difference between "off the hook"
>and "off the ol' hookeroo", what would you say?

Well, a phone can be (or can be ringing) off the hook, but not off
the ol' hookeroo.  ;-)

Seriously, or more seriously, it's interesting that none of the OED's
examples of the "factitious slang suffix", _boozeroo_, _brusheroo_ [=
brush off], or _flopperoo_, are still extant in the US (as far as I
know, nor is _jerkeroo_ (the one cite at the entry, from a Guardian
piece in 1964), while "(the ol') switcheroo", as mentioned in Lisa
Galvin's original query, is.  Presumably the productivity of -eroo
has essentially waned and thus the attested forms seem like dated
(1940's) slang, or at least so the links from the OED -eroo entry
would suggest.