"Wop" in 1908?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 29 16:05:03 UTC 2010

Great work, Doug.

You've noticed that none of these early exx. (or later ones for decades) say
anything like, "so called from the phrase 'Without Papers/Passport.'"

Opinion: the ety. from It. dial _guappo_ is correct. Its orig. aplication by
Italian-Americans to other Italian-Americans led non-Italians to refocus the
meaning. Hence the rapid demise of the more general English sense.

However, the unpub. HDAS files show the word occasionally being applied to
various European nationalities (incl. Poles and Germans) into
the 1990s.
Jack London wrote in 1913 (with ref. to 1898): "I was trying to get work as
wop, lumper, and roustabout."

Berry & Van den Bark (1942) list "wop" as a 'section hand.'" The
meaning fits superficially, but I believe it to be an error. (Track it on GB
and see what I'm talking about.) London seems to be referring to
day-laborers' jobs: the kind, of course, often filled at the time by Italian
immigrants.

JL