"Wop" in 1908?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 29 20:53:46 UTC 2010

James Brockman's novelty song, "Wop, Wop, Wop!" (N.Y.: Witmark, 1908 [but
actually copyright Feb. 3, 1909]) may have helped popularize the word.

Acc. to the N.Y. _Eve. Telegram_ (July 29, 1909)  (findable here if you've
got lots of time:
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html<http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html>
),
it was "one of the quaintest Italian novelty songs of the many that have
been offered to the public the last two or three years. It is by no less a
person than Mr. James Brockman [1886-1967: ed.], the well known writer and
composer.

"The story, told in a serio-comic way, tells of the troubles of an Italian,
whose feelings are injured by the various nicknames given him in this
country, and deals with his efforts in trying to prevent being called first
'Dago,' then 'Guinie,' and last of all, 'Wop.'

"Mr. Brockman has set the words to a tuneful and pleasing little melody that
makes it a particularly bright song for a part of the social programme."

 Check out the lyrics. They imply that "wop" was something new:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.natlib.ihas.100004968/pageturner.html?page=2&section=&size=640

JL