(Off Topic) genetics and baldness

Thu Apr 29 21:41:29 UTC 2010

  Thanks to Alison Murie for the information about genetics and
baldness. I think that the genetics of human baldness is complex and
not well understood, but recently progress has been made. Below is an
excerpt from a Mayo Clinic web page that states that heredity on both
sides of the family is relevant. (Androgenetic alopecia is commonly
known as male pattern baldness.) Below that is an excerpt from a 2008
report about research that has identified genes linked to baldness
located on chromosome 20. This is not an X or Y chromosome.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-loss/DS00278/DSECTION=causes

Heredity likely plays a key role. A history of androgenetic alopecia
on either side of your family increases your risk of balding. Heredity
also affects the age at which you begin to lose hair and the
developmental speed, pattern and extent of your baldness.

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2008/10/12/researchers.discover.baldness.gene.1.7.men.risk
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/10/13/healthmag.baldness.genes/index.html

Researchers have long been aware of a genetic variant on the X
chromosome that was linked to male pattern baldness, Richards said.
  "That's where the idea that baldness is inherited from the mother's
side of the family comes from," he explained. "However it's been long
recognized that that there must be several genes causing male pattern
baldness. Until now, no one could identify those other genes. If you
have both the risk variants we discovered on chromosome 20 and the
unrelated known variant on the X chromosome, your risk of becoming
bald increases sevenfold."