genetics

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 30 00:58:50 UTC 2010

Uhm... actually, no. I was very specific in my description. If the
gene is recessive, it would not show up in women when matched with a
normal pair. If it were dominant, it would absolutely show up in
women. I don't see how it could be any other way. It shows up in men
because there is no matched pair. This is true about ANY genetically
linked disorder that travels on X--the responsible gene is either
defective (a nonce gene, believe it or not) or recessive, never
dominant.

Either way, it makes absolutely no sense for baldness. Baldness is
extremely common--it is one of the most common characteristics. The
issue is more early baldness, but even there the distribution very
strongly favors men over women--very few women go bald early in life
and they do not develop MPB--or it would not be called Male Pattern.
With such a common distribution, the probability of ending up with two
baldness-inducing Xs would be very high and would result in early
baldness common among women. However, it is not. This actually
suggests that the Y chromosome, in this particular case, does make a
contribution. An alternative hypothesis would tie baldness to the
ratio of male-specific to female-specific hormones--this actually
makes more sense, as many women do lose their hair with age, although
this is rarely described as baldness because it does not follow MPB.
So, even though there is a possibility of sex link, a hormonal trigger
is more likely (these are not mutually exclusive, of course).

Whatever it is, one thing absolutely cannot be the cause--a simple,
single dominant gene. Sorry, I just can't accept that description.

VS-)