Christmas Eve Antedating : "Humbug"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Aug 1 00:15:06 UTC 2010

For "humbug", noun, I will let the experts decide whether the following is
      "2. A thing which is not really what it pretends to be; an
imposture, a deception, fraud, sham."; 1751, then 1831; or
      "3. Deception, pretence, sham ..."; earliest quote 1825.

Datelined London, December 10.
Ha! Mr. Printer, is it come to this at last!  And is there really
nothing in all we have been lately told, of some great doings upon
the carpet? Portugal dreads a Spanish Invasion ... extraordinary
cabinet councils; boards of trade and treasury at home; and all for
nothing!  This is such a bare-faced political humbug, that--- but I
have done; for we are possitively told, there is nothing at all in
it; and on my conscience, I am of opinion, that were another army of
rebels at Derby, and the French actually landed in Sussex, we should
be told the same tale.

The Providence Gazette, 1765 April 20, page 2, col. 3.  EAN.

Joel