Is my accent a crime? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Aug 2 14:31:05 UTC 2010

> > Arizona has decided that it's unacceptable to have teachers
> > whose spoken English is deemed to be heavily accented or
> ungrammatical, even
> > though the latter has little to do with the former.
>
> Anyone who has gone through an engineering curriculum at a state school
> in the last generation probably has horror stories of trying to
> understand a lecture given by a non-native born grad student whose
> accent was so thick as to make communication impossible.  I know I do.

Was there not a court case perhaps 30 years ago, in which a university was sued for using graduate students who were incapable of speaking intelligible English to work off their scholarship & stipend to teach undergraduate courses?
As I recall, the plaintiff's position was that he paid his tuition to take the course because he wanted to learn calculus, or whatever, and that it was a form of fraud to assign the course to a teacher whose command of English was inadequate to communicate his knowledge of the subject.

I did note with interest that the 3 murderers who escaped from the Arizona penitentiary last week all had surnames that suggested that they were Real Americans and fluent speakers of English.

GAT

George A. Thompson