Is my accent a crime? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 2 18:40:43 UTC 2010

Thanks, Ben.  The gist:

"Teachers that don't pass muster may take classes or other steps to improve
their English; if fluency continues to be a problem, Ms. Santa Cruz said, it
is up to school districts to decide whether to fire teachers or reassign
them to mainstream classes not designated for students still learning to
speak English."

Obviously this policy may be abused - like many other things I can think
of.  But is Arizona really the only state to have such a policy?

Is there any reason to believe, on the basis of facts, that the Arizona
Department of Education is trying to target teachers for disgrace and
dismissal because they're Hispanic and even though they're U.S. citizens
or legal residents? No. Is Arizona a "police state"? No.  Is having an
accent a "crime" in Arizona?  No.

Are these (and I refer solely to those in the previous paragraph ) phony
issues revved up for shock value by controversialists, attention-seekers,
and half-baked bloggers? Sure looks like it.

What the Department of Education says it's doing is checking to see
that all  ESL teachers are fluent enough and intelligible enough to teach
classes effectively. How well and fairly that policy will be carried out
remains to be seen, but so far nobody seems to have been publicly
humiliated, fired, deported, or jailed, and it seems unlikely that anybody
will be or even could be.

JL