Maurer

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon Aug 2 21:31:06 UTC 2010

> Poster:       ronbutters at AOL.COM
>
> the movie THE STING was supposedly based on one of David Maurer's
> scholarly books. Not sure how such a thing is possible, but that's the
> prevailing wisdom.

The book was, I think, _The Big Con_ (which may not have been the original
title).  As I understand it, Maurer sued, and they settled out of court.
I've seen The Sting, so when I've read _The Big Con_ (when I get it), I
might be able to tell.

Scholarly work being ripped off in this way happens all too frequently -- as
with e.g. Rictor Norton's _Mother Clap's Molly House_ which was dramatised
without a by-your-leave.  I don't think Rictor ever did get any
satisfaction, financial or otherwise, so if Maurer managed to get some money
out of the producers of The Sting, good on him.

Matsell gets a kinda mention in _The Gangs of New York_, the film as well as
the book, and I think the extra bits in the director's cut DVD have some
discussion of this.  I haven't seen this, but if I remember correctly, Julie
Coleman notes it in one of the volumes of her _History of Cant and Slang
Dictionaries_

Robin