Is my accent a crime?

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 3 00:34:21 UTC 2010

from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703572504575213883276427528.html

"Nearly half the teachers at Creighton, a K-8 school in a Hispanic neighborhood of Phoenix, are native Spanish speakers. State auditors have reported to the district that some teachers pronounce words such as violet as "biolet," think as "tink" and swallow the ending sounds of words, as they sometimes do in Spanish.

Ms. Santa Cruz, the state official, said evaluators weren't looking at accents alone. "We look at the best models for English pronunciation," she said. "It becomes an issue when pronunciation affects comprehensibility."

Sooo.  What is the best model.

I would suggest truespel phonetics which best represent in notation what the talking dictionaries are saying.  "tink" does not have a short "i" as in "tin".  Yet dictionaries say it does, while the speakers in those same talking dictionaries speak a "long e" as in ~teenk.  Not to mention the problem of special symbols of dictionary guides.  Time to get real.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling