_of_ > _on_ in BE

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Aug 5 03:46:31 UTC 2010

--

Something similar (related?) in Scots:

 From the online Scots National Dictionary:

<<O, prep. Also oa. Gen.Sc. reduced or unstressed form of Eng. of, on.
The assimilation in form has led to confusion and transference of usage
between Of and On which can be recognised when the full forms are used
and which is dealt with under the articles Of, On.>>

Example of "part on" = "part of", from 1793, under "on" [prep.] in SND:
<<And his sark tail too, a part on’t, Scorn’d within his breeks to stay.>>

[Elsewhere, G-books search for <<"on for of">> provides various
examples, including even "New England" dialect. In one case from 1835
"on for of" is given in a "Collection of Vulgarisms; or Yankeeisms"
(where I suppose "Yankeeisms" = "Americanisms"). Not all of the usages
are comparable, of course.]

-- Doug Wilson