"zero g" antedating OT

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 6 00:00:01 UTC 2010

Read both. It was in Pop Sci that I saw my first, last, and only photo
of the "Blockbuster" aerial bomb, so-called because it was reputed to
be so powerful that a single such bomb could "bust" a whole city
block! To the best of my memory, I'd say that it was about twelve feet
tall, standing on its fins.

My favorite mag was Astounding, but read anything that I could get
ahold of, including Galaxy, with its Dictionary of Intergalactic
Slang, from which I can recall only _kigmy_ "an expression of
hostility from an unexpected source." I know that the original title
of Fahrenheit 451 was The Fireman, far superior, IMO, and that the
original title of The Tenth Victim was The Seventh Victim, and that
the foodstuff called "Soylent Green" in the movie, was, in the
original story, cooked and canned Negroes, probably inspired by the
Swiftian solution to the Irish problem, and that Alfred Bester's The
Stars My Destination was born as the more esoteric Tiger, Tiger.

Yep. As Ike Turner used to say, "Those were the good old days!"

-Wilson

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Paul <paulzjoh at mtnhome.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Paul <paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "zero g" antedating  OT
>
>  I'm curious to know if anyone else remembers the awe of reading Pop.
> Science and Science Fiction in the fifties. These references to the old
> magazines, ( I always thought GALAXY was the best) remind me of how I
> really believed all those ideas were just around the next corner or the
> next decade.  I guess I should be glad that I don't know what 12 year
> olds dream of today.
>
> On 8/5/2010 4:45 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
>> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>> Caveats: NONE
>>
>> OED/_Brave New Words_/OED SF Project have 1952 for "zero g" (A.C.
>> Clarke, _Islands in the Sky_)
>>

>> John W. Campbell Jr. "Good-by to Gravity And All That" _Science
>> Illustrated_ v. 4 Jan 1949 p 78
>> "The rest of the trip, however, the crew will experience "zero-G"
>> conditions; they will have no weight whatsoever."
>> [citation metadata confirmed in Readers Guide to Periodical Literature]
>> http://books.google.com/books?ei=pC5bTLDaF4P98Abpu6TcAg&ct=result&id=_Kn
>> mAAAAMAAJ&dq=%22gravity+and+all+that%22&q=%22zero+g%22
>>

>> Kenneth W. Gatland, "Evolution of the Guided Missile" _Flight_ 3 Aug
>> 1951 p 142
>> http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1951/1951%20-%201495.html
>> "If necessary (assuming, of course, that zero "g" has no adverse
>> physiological effect), it would be possible for the crew to work outside
>> the vehicles and to move themselves around the region of the space-ships
>> with the aid of miniature, hand-operated rocket units."
>>

>> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>> Caveats: NONE

> --
>

> To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die.
>                            Thomas Campbell

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain