earworm (was Re: Secret OED files uncovered)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 6 18:20:41 UTC 2010

At 2:10 PM -0400 8/6/10, Mark Mandel wrote:
>"Earworm" ("a catchy tune that frequently gets stuck in your head") not
>suitable for OED? It's standard among my online friends.

Yes, and besides the cites below it's been covered in the the paper
of record (or CD?):
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/12/science/12EAR.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/20/opinion/20iht-edjohnson.html

or in this piece that presupposes familiarity with the musical
earworm and wonders whether words (in this case, "amygdala") can
qualify as (lexical) earworms:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html

Maybe the OED is concerned about insidious German infiltration...

LH