another -gate

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 8 19:28:10 UTC 2010

There was unquestionable cover-up, complete with the usual stages.
First, Apple denied the problem altogether. Then they agreed to
replace some phones for people who complained, but still denied the
problem. Then they offered the "bumper", but claimed it was a
good-will gesture, not a recognition of the problem. Now they are
admitting the design flaw, but still blame the user for the specific
positions of the hand that cause problems and claim that the "bumper"
solves the problem (it does not). Finally, the VP in charge of the
design team has resigned--will more heads roll?

AT&T, meanwhile, is getting off scot-free, following their own
connection problems with iPhones because they simply lacked the
network capacity to handle the volume of traffic generated by the
users. They even agreed to buy back some phones and partially wave
overage charges for many users. But they've been very quiet about
iPhone4 and let Apple take all the blame.

VS-)