Antedating of "Been There, Done That"

Mon Aug 9 16:18:58 UTC 2010

We've been there and we've done all that—and more.

Ten days ago I sent an unverified 1976 citation for this phrase to the
list. The saying is present in "Middle-Age Crisis" by Barbara Fried
(revised 1976 edition) based on direct inspection of a dead-tree
artifact. There is also 1967 edition of this work. But a search in the
Google Books digital copy of the 1967 edition strongly suggests that
the quotation is not present.

Cite: 1976, "The Middle-Age Crisis: Revised Edition. With a New
Introduction by Robert A. Raines" by Barbara Fried, Page 112, Harper &
Row, New York. (Google snippet view; Verified on paper in the 1976
edition)

It is impossible to forget after all those years of being mature that
we're supposed to have outgrown such youthful nonsense. We've been
there and we've done all that—and more. And who in his right mind
wants to go back and relive every aspect—not just the fun parts—of a
situation he left behind him twenty-five years before?

http://books.google.com/books?id=Km5qAAAAMAAJ&q=%22done+all%22#search_anchor

Bill Mullins presented some fine cites. The earliest were found with
flexible matching requirements.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1007E&L=ADS-L&P=R3297&m=95471

Here is an example in 1902 with the two subphrases reversed: "done
that, been there". That is a less common modern variant of the
expression, but the intended meaning in 1902 is not quite the same.

Cite: 1902, Poor fellow! by Mrs. J. H. Riddell, Page 117, F.V. White,
London. (Google Books full view)

Geniuses did not really appeal to, or amuse, or interest them in the
least, but they liked to say they had met Mr. ---, who had invented
this, done that, been there, or was going somewhere else.

http://books.google.com/books?id=HkbQAAAAMAAJ&q=Geniuses#v=snippet&

Garson